Required Documentation for International Students
Please note that a student visa does not allow the practice of paid activity of any kind during the student’s stay in Brazil. It is also not possible to change a tourist visa to a student visa.
Foreign Resident’s Identity Card (CIE)
The CIE is a foreign resident’s main document. To apply for a CIE, the student must be registered at the Federal Police’s immigration office within 30 days of arrival in Brazil; otherwise, the student will be fined for each late day. This document can only be required in person, at the Federal Police Office closest to their place of residence. Once registered, the CIE (pictured) will be issued, identifying the student’s residency status and period of stay.
How to apply for a CIE
Fill out the electronic form available under “Requerer Registro / Renovação” option. Then, click the SALVAR button and print the completed form.
Generate the Guia de Recolhimento da União (GRU), a document similar to a common bank slip
payable at any Bank or ATM, lottery shop or post office; make an appointment at the regional Federal Police office to submit the required documents in person.
Documents required to apply for a CIE
- Registration application form, completely filled and printed;
Valid travel document (ID is accepted for Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador), original and authenticated photocopies of the used pages of the passport or travel document;
- Obtained visa and original visa form;
- Two recent photographs, size 3x4cm (color, white background);
- Proof of payment of registration fee (paid at a, bank);
- Proof of payment of CIE fee.
Unifei can help you regularize your documentation at the
Federal Police. Here’s how
- The International Relations Office can help you get the necessary documentation and schedule a date at the Federal Police office to regularize them. Appointments are scheduled by calling (35) 3219-1442.
- The Federal Police office nearest to Itajubá is in Varginha, at the following address: Rua Humberto Pizzo, 999, Jardim Canaã Varginha – MG. Phone: (35) 3219.1442
Transportation to the Federal Police office in Varginha
Once a semester, Unifei usually offers an official vehicle, driver included, to take foreign students who need to regularize their situation in Brazil. To check transportation dates and availability, please contact the International Relations Office (SRI).
If a Unifei car isn’t available, you may take a bus.
Outbound trip – from Itajubá to Varginha: departs at 6:05 am and arrives at 10:10 am.
Return trip from Varginha to Itajubá: departs at 12:30pm and arrives at 4:10pm.
The round trip costs around R$ 100,00.
Further information: http://www.buscaonibus.com.br (in portuguese).
Itajubá Bus station – Expresso Gardênia (Gardenia Express buses): (35) 3623.4850.
- The Federal Police office nearest to Itabira is in the state capital, Belo Horizonte, at the following address: Rua Francisco Deslandes, 900, Anchieta, Belo Horizonte – MG.
- The office is within Anchieta Garden Mall, 3rd floor, room 301. Phone: (31) 2517.9900.
Hourly Saritur Express buses are available from Itabira to Belo Horizonte, 5am to 8pm Mondays to Fridays, and from Belo Horizonte to Itabira, 6am to 8pm. Time schedule information at https://www.portaldepassagens.com.br.
The trip takes around two hours, the round trip costing around R$ 80,00.
Itabira Bus station Saritur: (31) 3831.3379.
Brazilian Individual Taxpayer Registration
A Brazilian Individual Taxpayer Registration (Cadastro de Pessoa Física – CPF) for foreigners is the person’s registration in the Brazilian Federal Revenue Service (Receita Federal). Each individual is assigned a unique number, unchangeable even if the card is lost.
A CPF number is required to open a bank account in Brazil.